Geary County Modern Parenting Initiative Parenting Classes
Parenting Class Goal
'To nurture mindful parenting and decision making in six key areas: caring for self, understanding, nurturing, guiding, motivating, and advocating.'
The emphasis of MPI classes is on encouraging parents to listen to their intuition, develop hunches, and be playful in trying out responses. More than anyone else parents are the experts on their children. Rather than emphasizing something dramatically new, MPI group activities are designed to support the awakening of things parents likely already know. The MPI parenting classes use the evidence based Basic Parenting Program. The curriculum is based on the National Extension Parent Education Model.
MPI Partner Agencies
Geary County K-State Research and Extension
8th Judicial District Community Corrections
St. Francis Community Services
Geary County Perinatal Coalition
Kansas Department for Children and Families
Pawnee Mental Health
Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA)
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I get more information?
- You can download a brochure or flyer. You can reach us at the contact information above.
How do I register?
- Call the Geary County Extension Office at 785-238-4161 OR access the electronic form for the current class HERE. You can submit this via email to email@example.com.
What age group does this focus on?
- The class is for parents with children ages toddler to teen. The concepts explored in the class are inclusive in nature and would be appropriate for any family configuration.
How much does it cost?
- The class is made up of 6 sessions. Each session has a $10 registration fee for a total of $60. If a parent wishes to bring their partner or another support person, the fee is $15 per session for a total of $90.
What if the class has already started?
- You can begin the class any week you want! However, in order to complete the 6 session course, you will need to attend all 6 sessions. The class is offered several times a year and missed sessions can be picked up at the next offered class.
Do you provide transportation or childcare?
- We do not have childcare or transportation available. In addition, due to the mature nature of some of the discussions, children are not permitted to attend the classes with their parent(s).